Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Pisco Party

I'm turning out to be such a terrible blogger already. I've only made two posts so far and there's nearly a 3 week difference between this and my last post.

Life has been moving on as usual. Last weekend Alan and I hosted a Pisco Sour party for our friend J. Riley. Pisco is a type of peruvian alcohol that he brought back from his many trips to Peru and back. When mixed with sugar, lime juice, egg whites and ice it makes a deliciously tart drink. It was a lot of fun and not too much work. For the occasion, I made a type of peruvian cookie called alphajores. It's a dulce de leche cream sandwiched between two crunchy shortbread cookies and sprinkled with powdered sugar. The coolest thing about making them was making the dulche de leche. You submerge a can of sweetened condensed milk in boiling water and boil for 2 hours. The milk caramelizes inside the can! They actually were some of the most delicious cookies I've ever tasted. Very different from my usual dabblings in baking with chocolate. I also made guacamole for the first time and I can't say that I liked it all that much. I am not really a fair judge since the only guacamole I've ever liked was had in Costa Rica. Everyone else seemed to enjoy it and ate almost all of it up.

After hanging out in our apartment a little after midnight, we all headed to Stir to check out the scene. The original plan was to go downtown to find some dancing, but J.Riley wasn't feeling up to the trek. I had been to Stir one time before and I found it to be quite dull and lifeless. This time it was full of people and the music was great, although it was still a bit lackluster. Fortunately we came in a group of 13 and promptly began to dance our tushies off. It added a certain zest to the place. I induced my natural skills of observation and realized that the problem with Stir is the crowd. Everyone there definitely fit into the Upper East Side stereotype and were either much too self-conscious or too egotistical to just have some fun! I'm not a huge fan of my very own neighborhood. All in all, I think everyone in our group had a great time although Alan and I headed home before anyone else so I can't really say!

No comments: